This Dual-Band PowerLinc Modem is the recommended Controller choice for the Indigo community.
The PowerLinc Modem 2413U support both the INSTEON and X10 protocols.
What is Dual-Band
The PowerLinc Modem 2413U biggest difference with the older 2414U is that it sends and receives both power line and radio frequency (RF) INSTEON signals, so it doubles as both an interface controller and AccessPoint.
More Differences that the PowerLinc Modem (2413U) has with the older INSTEON PowerLinc Controller (2414U)
- The PowerLinc Modem (PLM) is faster at sending and receiving general INSTEON commands (on, off, set brightness, etc.) than the PowerLinc Controller (PLC) 2414U
- The PLM 2413U provides faster remote INSTEON link management than the PLC.
- The PLM provides improved communications reliability with Indigo.
- The PLM has surge protection (MOV rated for 150 Volts); the PLC does not.
- And . . . a special NOTE:
The PLM 2413U does NOT have the ability to work off line at all because it does not have an internal clock chip or any flash memory to hold uploaded schedules. Once you quit Indigo or turn your Mac off, the PLM 2413U cannot control any of your devices.
- Manufacturer: SmartLabs Design
- Warranty: 2 years, limited
- Baud Rate: 19,200 Kbps
- USB Current Draw: 0 mA
- Status LED: Green + Red LED
- Operation Modes: INSTEON only, x10 only, INSTEON and X10 Combo Mode
- Combo Mode Message Order: INSTEON, X10, INSTEON Cleanup
- Combo Memory: Non-volatile EEPROM up
- INSTEON Addresses: 1 hard-coded out of 16,777,216 possible
- INSTEON Links: 1023 possible
- INSTEON Power Line Frequency: 131.65 KHz
- INSTEON Minimum Transmit Level: 3.2 Vpp into 5 Ohms
- INSTEON Minimum Receive Level: 10 mV
- INSTEON Messages Repeated: Yes
- Operating Conditions: Indoors, 40 to 132ºF, up to 85% relative humidity
- Dimensions: 3.9" H x 2.6" W x 1.5" D
- Weigh: 4.0 oz
- Supply Voltage: 120 Volts AC +/- 10%, 60 Hertz, single phase
- Surge Protection: MOV rated for 150 Volts
- Pass-Through Outlet: No
- X10 Controllable Addresses: 256 possible
- X10 Powerline Frequency: 120 KHz
- X10 Minimum Transmit Level: 3.2 Vpp into 5 ohms
- X10 Minimum Receive Level: 20mV into 5 ohms
- X10 Messages Repeated: No
Added Plus from MacHomeStore.com
As an added service from MacHomeStore.com, we “pre-test” each and every INSTEON PowerLinc Modem before we ship it out the door to you. We do this under the latest version of Indigo installed on our Macs here. We do this because we recognize that this device is the crucial link between your home automation software (Indigo) and all those neat INSTEON and X-10 devices you have installed. Just a little added assurance because we want satisfaction from you, not frustration.
We also include with every PowerLinc Modem an exclusive "Setup Instruction Sheet" that explains in easy to follow steps how to get your INSTEON PowerLinc Modem up and running quickly with Indigo Lite and Pro. It supersedes and simplifies the manufacturer's instruction sheet which, of course, is primarily geared toward the (ugh!) PC platform.
Compare the Controllers . . .
Here's a Indigo/Interface Feature Comparison Matrix that shows the relationships/functionality that Indigo has with the various powerline interface controllers.
And . . . here's a Wiki article that gives you a narrative history and comparison of the INSTEON Interfaces.